Friday, May 11, 2012

Album review: "Ultra Violet", Bananarama


since realizing it's the 30th anniversary of girl group, bananarama, i've been relentlessly playing my collection of 'nana albums. each one with its own set of memories of days from my youth. Ultra Violet is no different and by far holds some of the more interesting stories of my life, but those best kept to myself and the friends involved.

i actually came across Ultra Violet by accident in Montreal, years after it was released in 1996. i would later find out that this record produced three singles, every shade of blue, take me to your heart, and i found love. a few of the songs are dated, conceived from the eurodance sound that was sweeping through popular music of the mid-90s. nonetheless these are good songs. rather, i find it frustrating that both keren woodward and sara dallin of bananarama are not more recognized as strong song writers. bananarama is credited with writing all twelve songs on the album. take me to your heart, take me away, and maybe the next time are especially poignant (and at some moments, sexy) ballads that balance out the heavy dance theme of Ultra Violet. songs like system and you've really got something hold well today, but my favorite is, don't stop me now, an empowering anthem made especially for the dance floor in the same vein as gloria gaynor's, i will survive, and cher's, believe. Ultra Violet is an absolutely enjoyable album with a further step from bananarama's pop roots and competent move into the world of dance.



No comments:

Post a Comment